Monday, June 05, 2006

 
DIVYA'S FEEDBACK IN FORM OF THIS LETTER WRITTEN TO AN E-GROUP OF VISUALLY CHALLENGED PEOPLE.
-----

Hello friends.

I'm truly fortunate to be a part of AUXEL project.

I recently came across Omkar Nisal, one of the pioneers of Auxel project.
Auxel (combination of audio and pixel) is a software that helps visually challenged individuals interpret images by listening to sound frequencies varying in pitch and volume. Its a worldwide project and rapidly progressing and developing day by day.

I had an opportunity to gain a first-hand experience of the actual working of AUXEL. Its really amazing!! Its a language by itself. I'd been to Pune to Omkar's place on 4th of this month(June 2006). We had a 4 hours training session in which, he introduced me to the basics of interpretation of an image by varying sound frequencies.

Then, he introduced me to the marker sounds- the specific sounds that mark the beginning and end of a digital image and a sound that indicates the end of a row of pixels in an image.

I used a finger to tentatively draw the sounded picture on my other palm and tried to have a mental picture of it. We first worked with lines. AUXEL reads an image from left to right. I was given images of 4x4 pixels and then 7x7 pixels.

Each pixel was played for 1000 milliseconds initially. Then we progressed from lines to squares, squares with diagonals and so on. Later, the image was played for 250 milliseconds (for every pixel).

Auxel Project is all about converting a digital picture to sound (and touch) sensation.

Frankly, I was feeling really apprehensive about the whole idea of training myself to something so different!! But it has turned out to be extremely nice!! I've had just one training as yet. It has been one of the most memorable days of my life!

I was informed that this software will be made portable by installing it in mobile phones. As pictures'll be sounded, it'll be possible to move about without a cane or sighted help!! In the near future, the AUXEL team has decided to put this software in to a goggle. So it'll be both useful and trendy!!

I urge u all to visit the following web sites to find out for yourselves:

 Omkar and his team is damn courteous.
Very nice people to talk to, and they encouraged me like anything!!

The inspiration behind this project was just one dream!.. u all will get to read it in the above mentioned sites. He has literally put himself in the place of a visually challenged and is working truly Dil Se...
u all can write to him at

omkar.nisal@gmail.com

His mobile:0091-9850230070.

I'm still yet to receive many more training sessions. But, in the mean time, I felt like sharing my experience with u all.

AUXEL is assuming global importance and has recently got a person from Brazil to represent and promote it!! AUXEL team is determined to eradicate visual challenges of 270 million people world wide by 2nd November 2008!

I strongly feel, u all should benefit from this unique project.

Cheers.
Divya Bijur.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?